spot_img
Thursday, July 18, 2024
More
    HomeWorldNo ceasefire for Gaza - Netanyahu remains determined

    No ceasefire for Gaza – Netanyahu remains determined

    -

    Netanyahu does not want to be stopped. The criticism from New York bounces off him. New military operations could be imminent in several districts of Gaza city. The overview.

    Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reiterated his country's determination not to be deterred by criticism in the conduct of the war in the Gaza Strip. “There is considerable pressure on Israel, both at home and abroad, to end the war before we achieve all of its objectives,” Netanyahu said during a visit to troops near the Gaza border. The armed struggle against the Islamist Hamas will continue until all hostages are released and Gaza no longer poses a threat to Israel. “No amount of pressure can change that.”

    Netanyahu spoke a few hours after a US veto prevented a draft resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza war at the UN Security Council. 13 of the 15 council members voted in favor of Algeria's draft. The vast majority of the panel is driven by concerns about a looming Israeli military offensive in the southern Gaza town of Rafah, which is overcrowded with Palestinian refugees. The USA is Israel's most important ally.

    The Americans justified their veto by saying that they did not want to undermine the ongoing negotiations on a temporary ceasefire and the release of the hostages from the grip of Hamas. The indirect talks mediated by Egypt, Qatar and the USA have not gotten off the ground lately, but will continue. “We are not prepared to pay any price (for the hostages), and certainly not the delusional price that Hamas wants to demand from us,” Netanyahu said.

    Israel's new call for residents of Gaza to flee

    The Israeli army called on residents of two neighborhoods in Gaza city to flee. The call, issued in Arabic by an Israeli military spokesman, urged residents of the Al-Saitun and Al-Turkman neighborhoods to immediately move to a designated area further south on the Mediterranean. This was seen as a sign of impending breakthrough at the UN: the resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza failed because of the USA. – The news at a glance rated in the districts.

    According to UN figures, up to 1.7 million of the more than 2.2 million residents of the Gaza Strip have had to leave their homes since the war began on October 7th. According to information, around 1.5 million people are crowded in the city of Rafah alone on the border with Egypt. Residents of the narrow coastal strip often had to flee several times. There was also shelling in areas that had been classified as safe.

    Food deliveries suspended in the north

    The UN World Food Program (WFP) temporarily suspended food deliveries to northern Gaza. Deliveries will only be resumed when conditions for safer distribution are in place, the WFP said. The decision was not easy for those responsible. “However, safety must be ensured for the delivery of food and for the people who receive it.”

    After a three-week break, the WFP resumed deliveries to the north of the sealed-off coastal strip on Sunday. Since then, however, there have been chaotic scenes and riots during the distribution of food, as the WFP further announced. People climbed onto trucks – in some places entire trucks were looted. Sometimes there were clashes. Shots were fired and a truck driver was attacked and injured.

    The WFP says it is trying to resume deliveries as quickly as possible. The situation on site is becoming increasingly worse and more and more people are at risk of dying of hunger. The Gaza Strip is hanging by a thread.

    New WHO rescue operation of patients from hospital

    In a second rescue operation, the World Health Organization (WHO) removed 18 seriously ill patients from the embattled Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip. A spokesman reported this on Tuesday in Geneva. 14 had already been taken to other hospitals on Sunday. There were two children among them.

    There is neither electricity nor running water in the hospital, the spokesman further reported. Patients lie in the hallways in the dark. The 15-strong staff is trying to keep the remaining 130 patients alive. They were provided with water and food during the risky visit. Streets and houses around the hospital were destroyed, the spokesman said.

    Related articles

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest posts